Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What is it that brings different people together and how does it happen? The drawing above by my father is a floor plan of The Homefront (entrance from the street is on the left). I’m supposed to redraw it on a sheet of grid paper with more precise measurements, each square corresponding to a foot, I think, but for now I prefer the drawing above as a diagram of our brainstorming. He explained to me that the best solution in terms of interior design is this S-shape because it leads visitors into the gallery on a curved path, opening up different views along the way. When people walk in and around the back (upper right side of drawing), they can enter one of two display areas separated by a partition. If I were to live in the gallery we would enclose a private bedroom in one of the two spaces.

I may forego living in The Homefront because an S-shaped gallery seems to have much more potential. It's already passed my attention that many young artists are experimenting with converting their homes into art galleries. My original intentions for The Homefront stay the same; I want to make it a usable gallery, leaving room for people to enter and become part of the experience. A sofa, a lamp, tables and chairs, a whole mix of domestic furnishings will provide the context for thinking about relationships between art and work, art and leisure, art and life, and so on. And, I expect artists to bring in works that examine relationships between war and the comforts of living at home.

Recently, I had a conversation with a friend in thinking about the model of the art club for The Homefront. I’d have to establish levels of membership and determine the rates, but a membership can entitle you to use/rent the space for an exhibition, a meeting, concert, discussion, gathering, or event. The idea is to maintain the space in ways that are accessible affordable and adaptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment